Long gone are the days for paying an extra $1.25 for honey walnut shrimp at Panda Express! Honestly, what is up with that?! That is kind of pricy, no?
So look no further (actually you’re going to have to for the recipe) because I was able to create this popular dish at home! I did make it a little different by making it spicy but everything is better spicy anyways. I know there are some people out there who don’t like sweet and spicy together, but you can always use regular honey and mayo in this. 🙂
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- 3 tbsp Hon Sauce‘s Spicy Mayo
- 1 1/2 tsp Mike’s Hot Honey Extra Hot
- 1 1/2 tsp condensed coconut milk (regular is okay)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions for garnish
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Boil 1/2 cup of water in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the sugar and stir constantly until gold and thick. Add the walnuts and toss to combine. Transfer the freshly candied walnuts to a parchment lined plate and let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, honey, & condensed milk and set aside.
- Peel and devein the shrimp. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Working one at a time, dip each shrimp into the egg, toss in cornstarch and press to coat.
- Work in batches and add the coated shrimp to the skillet and fry until an even golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp and honey mayo mixture. Top with walnuts and serve immediately.
If I made this again, I would totally top it with jalapenos! Spice is life, people!!